[buug] Thanks, Guys

John de la Garza john at jjdev.com
Fri Nov 15 18:19:19 PST 2002

On Friday, November 15, 2002, at 06:02  PM, Skip Evans wrote:

> Hey guys & gals (if there are any),
>
> I got the root access back.
>
> Look, I know it was dumb, okay? The many of you that told
> me so had no trouble convincing me.

we all make mistakes...no biggie.  If you learned something it's well
worth it.

> We all now programmers are not supposed to be sys admins,

I wasn't aware of that.  I learned a lot about system administration
reading Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment by Stevens.
Knowing how to program has helped me many times when I've had the role
of sys admin.

I've had to install software only to find that I needed to make small
change to some C code in order for it to work on my specific platform.
Being able to program give you the ability to write programs to
automate a lot of things.

If I had to choose between two people to  hire as a UNIX admin and one
was a C guru and the other hadn't really been exposed to much
programming, I would want the admin who knew programming.  Actually,
I'd probably require him to understand programming.