[buug] Lost root access

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Nov 15 18:57:10 PST 2002

Quoting f.johan.beisser (jan at caustic.org):

> 	root:*:0:0:Charlie &:/root:/bin/csh
> 	toor:*:0:0:Bourne-again Superuser:/root:
>
> those are both root users. default is /bin/csh (which has some tcsh
> behaviours).

Yeah, what he said.

Bash sure as _hell_ isn't csh-compatible, making it doubly undesirable
to chsh the root user to it.

Though why would someone would willingly use csh in the 21st century,
unless he's part of some Berkeley software cult....  <ducking and running>

> i tend to simply use "sudo" for all my root level crap.

As should Skip.

> most of freebsd's scripts are written in bourne shell.

Well, csh programming being considered harmful, and all that.  (I think
I'll run, now.  ;->  )

rick at linuxmafia.com     modern-American-English-usage-improvement association.