[buug] Lost root access

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Nov 15 19:46:52 PST 2002

Quoting f.johan.beisser (jan at caustic.org):

> i also abuse my root level stuff through bash. i don't think i've logged
> in as root directly on any of my machines in many many months. in a couple
> cases, i've completely forgotten the root password.

I follow a deliberate policy of doing nothing at all to make the root
account comfortable.  After all, if you spend significant amounts of
time in it, you're doing something wrong.  sudo, sgid bits, and the like
are your friend.

rick at linuxmafia.com     modern-American-English-usage-improvement association.