[buug] Re: admin "skills" [Was: Thanks, Guys]

Ian Zimmerman itz at speakeasy.org
Sat Nov 16 00:25:01 PST 2002

John> If I had to choose between two people to hire as a UNIX admin
John> and one was a C guru and the other hadn't really been exposed to
John> much programming, I would want the admin who knew programming.

I don't think many people who actually do the hiring think this way,
unfortunately.  The ability to respond creatively and make my own
tools seems less important than robotic trained knowledge of
prepackaged commercial stuff like Legato and similar :(

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A. I did not vote for Emperor Bush.
GPG: 433BA087  9C0F 194F 203A 63F7 B1B8  6E5A 8CA3 27DB 433B A087