[buug] TeX transliteration macro

Ian Zimmerman itz at speakeasy.org
Thu Nov 21 12:50:36 PST 2002

OK, here's one for the TeXperts on the list (we know who you are, you
have unmasked yourselves :)  I need a macro that would act as (the
simplest case) of the Unix program tr.  Something like this:

\tr{foo_bar}{_}{-}

should produce

foo-bar

Background:

I automatically produce cross-referenced documentation from code.
Code symbols are targets of links, and contain underscores.  TeX
labels of all kinds (plain LaTeX, hyperref, ...) can't contain
underscores, but can contain hyphens.

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A. I did not vote for Emperor Bush.
GPG: 433BA087  9C0F 194F 203A 63F7 B1B8  6E5A 8CA3 27DB 433B A087