[buug] rlogin

Ian Zimmerman itz at speakeasy.org
Thu Nov 21 13:38:01 PST 2002

allen> Hi, i know that it is not recommanded, but i just want to try
allen> it. i created /etc/hosts.equiv and $HOME/.rhosts on my solaris,
allen> and tried to rlogin from another linux machine by an account on
allen> both of them, it still asked for passwd.

Often this means that the reverse lookup for the IP you're connecting
from returns something else than you expect.  For example, if your
linux box is known as foo.homeunix.net (a DynDNS domain), but the
reverse lookup provided by your ISP returns something like
ip-123.clueless.com, and you put foo.homeunix.net in the hosts files,
it won't work.

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A. I did not vote for Emperor Bush.
GPG: 433BA087  9C0F 194F 203A 63F7 B1B8  6E5A 8CA3 27DB 433B A087