[buug] create .doc files on linux/BSD

Brian Sobolak sobolak at myrealbox.com
Fri Nov 22 08:29:21 PST 2002

> I'm working with a guy who needs to generate
> dynamic documents in microsoft word .doc format.  He
> says he can do it with VB and COM.
>   I suggested he do it in pdf instead on linux/BSD
>with the abundance of .pdf tools.
>   My question is:  have any of you created .doc files
> on linux/BSD, and what tool did you use?

What about generating rtf files from BSD/Linux?  Rich
Text Format should have all of the formatting you need.

He's bluffing, sorta.  You can create Word Docs using
VB/COM on Windows, but it's a dangerous prospect.  It
generally involves using Word as an object in a
separate memory space.  Word automation is kludgy and
frequently fails.

(I've been down this path - we had to buy two servers
that literally only ran Word.  It was such a hog that
we couldn't use the box for anything else.  I'm up
against the same thing right now for PowerPoint - we
generate CSV files on Solaris and then use RMI to put
the files on Windows, and generate the reports.)

Unless you need to edit the documents, PDF is a MUCH
better solution.  But you already knew that.

HTH,

brian