[buug] NTP Time Setting

Ian Zimmerman itz at speakeasy.org
Wed Oct 2 15:10:06 PDT 2002

Joseph> One concern that I have about its working automatically is
Joseph> that I'm on dialup (ugh), and so it probably wouldn't be able
Joseph> to check itself on a regular schedule. Would this be a
Joseph> problem?

Dave> Probably more of a headache than its worth.  I guess it depends
Dave> on whether or not your dialup is connected all the time.  I
Dave> would suggest just running ntpdate as part of your dialup
Dave> script, that way you'll sync every time you connect.  Your other
Dave> option is to run ntpd, and have it demand-dial when it needs to
Dave> sync, but this seems like overkill, as I imagine it will be
Dave> dialing quite often.

Have a look at chrony:

http://chrony.sunsite.dk/index.php

It is an alternative ntp client, more lightweight in some ways IIRC,
and good behaviour on a dial-up connection is one of its selling
points.

I would enclose my config file, except I myself switched to ntpd after
a lifetime of chrony use just a couple of months ago.

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
GPG: 433BA087  9C0F 194F 203A 63F7 B1B8  6E5A 8CA3 27DB 433B A087