[buug] NTP Time Setting

f.johan.beisser jan at caustic.org
Wed Oct 2 15:32:36 PDT 2002

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, Joseph Zitt wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out how to set my system clock by a remote system,
> but the more that I read, the less I understand. Could someone suggest
> a one-liner command (or something similarly simple) by which I could
> set my clock from an appropriate host?

if the system is online 24/7, or "most of the time" you may just use ntpd.
the simplest config file will define the driftfile (essentially the "lag
time" between the server and the NTP client), and the server.

	[root at pogo jan] {35}$ cat /etc/ntp.conf
	# NTP conf file for POGO.caustic.org
	#
	driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
	server 128.118.25.3     # clock.psu.edu
	server 17.254.0.26      # time.apple.com
	server 204.34.198.41    # tock.usnogps.navy.mil

> Thanks for any enlightenment.

hope this gives you a starting point.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan at caustic.org
    "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
         of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche