[buug] Floppy Mounting

f.johan.beisser jan at caustic.org
Wed Oct 2 21:14:41 PDT 2002

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, al plant wrote:

> I have a FreeBSD 4.5 box that I want to use a floppy drive on to load
> some files on to the BOX.
>
> For some reason when I installed the box the CDrom and all other drives
> were created in the /etc/fstab directory.

well, the obvious starting point is "man fstab"

> But the floppy is not there.

floppies rarely are. being that they're somewhat useless overall (i tend
to tar files to them, or occasionally use them as boot floppies..)

> I have done it in Linux to create this, but FreeBSD is different.
>
> Do you know what the steps are to create the /dev/fd0  /floppy   and so
> on in the fstab?

you're close. generally, floppies don't need to be mounted.. if you do,
you might not have the right fstype.

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/

> Or should I look at a hardware issue with the floppy?

you may also want to go through the freebsd-questions archive at:

	http://marc.theaimsgroup.com

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan at caustic.org
    "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
         of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche