[buug] Samba and DHCP

Skip Evans evans at ncseweb.org
Thu Oct 17 22:10:28 PDT 2002

Hi all,

I was having a problem with a Linksys router
that kept giving an IP address to my FreeBSD
box and replacing it's static one, making it
in accessible from the outside (it's basically
just a list server at this point).

To fix the problem I put this in rc.conf

# DHCP disabled 2002-09-18 to prevent linksys from sending
# its IP to this box -- skip
# ifconfig_sis0="DHCP"
hostname="ncseweb2.org"

A friend is helping me get Samba up and going and
thinks this is preventing Samba from working.

Anyone think this is the case? Any kind of resolution
would be helpful. If a diagram of the network layout would
be helpful, contact me off list and I'll attach it to a response.

Thanks! Missed the last couple of buug meetings but plan
on coming back soon.

Skip Evans
Network Project Director
National Center for Science Education
420 40th St, Suite 2
Oakland, CA 94609
510-601-7203 Ext. 308
510-601-7204 (fax)
800-290-6006
evans at ncseweb.org
 http://www.ncseweb.org

NCSE now has a one way broadcast news list. Please note that this is NOT a discussion list. You cannot post messages for members to receive. We use this list to broadcast news about the creationism/evolution issue to interested parties.

To sign up send:
subscribe ncse your at email.address
to: majordomo at inia.cls.org