[buug] Gentoo, Bluecurve and Linux too!

johnd john at jjdev.com
Fri Oct 18 09:42:50 PDT 2002

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 10:42:47AM -0500, Brian Sobolak wrote:

> hi fellow good buug people,
>
> I'm thinking about picking up a new PC soon and think I might switch from
> my normal FreeBSD self to Linux, since Linux on the desktop is looking
> more appealing than it did 18 months ago.
>
> Two Linux questions:
>
> 1.  Has anyone taken Gentoo Linux for a spin?  I know a lot of people on
> this list are big Debian fans, but Gentoo looks appealing as well.

Yes.  What do you want to know about it?

I really appreciate the way it builds everything from source.  Before
Gentoo I've always usedlackware.  I would typically do a minimal install
then build the rest of the system from source.  I never used any kind
of package management tools till Gentoo.

Make sure you understand the bandwidth needs gentoo can demand.  If you
do a Stage 1 install, it pretty much down loads everything on the fly.

Having a powerful machine is good, too.

I've installed Gentoo on a x86 box and a G4.

If you have the time (like half a day), Gentoo is good.  If you just want
to get a server up and running, you may want to pick a different distro.

-johnd