[buug] Gentoo, Bluecurve and Linux too!

Aaron T Porter atporter at primate.net
Fri Oct 18 10:25:59 PDT 2002

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 10:19:17AM -0700, johnd wrote:

> > 	Gentoo probably speaks to your FreeBSD roots then. It definately
> > looks like a nice setup, though I guess I just don't see the point in
> > compiling everything locally if you're not actually doing it by hand.
>
> The point is the same...why do you compile by hand?

	There's definately something to be said for knowing intimately
every package installed on your system, there's also the distribution
downside of dependancy creep installing packages you might want but
certainly don't need (it's kinda scary what Debian thinks I need installed
to use Mozilla). That said, I certainly don't have the time to do it by
hand anymore.