[buug] Gentoo, Bluecurve and Linux too!

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Oct 18 11:32:56 PDT 2002

Quoting Aaron T Porter (atporter at primate.net):

> Gentoo probably speaks to your FreeBSD roots then. It definately
> looks like a nice setup, though I guess I just don't see the point in
> compiling everything locally if you're not actually doing it by hand.

Additionally, for the few places where you think it might a significant
difference (may, XFree86), the Debian build tools make it quite easy to
rebuild the debianised source tarballs with compiler options of your
choosing.

But some people are indeed liking Gentoo, others Sourcemage, Rock Linux,
Lunar Linux, etc.  All the same basic build-everything-from-source
notion, variously implemented.

--
Cheers,     "Learning Java has been a slow and tortuous process for me.  Every
Rick Moen   few minutes, I start screaming 'No, you fools!' and have to go