[buug] Gentoo, Bluecurve and Linux too!

Ian Zimmerman itz at speakeasy.org
Fri Oct 18 13:19:51 PDT 2002

Patrick> wow, we are getting technical here. from man pages: " These
Patrick> functions implement the MD5 message-digest algorith, which
Patrick> takes as input a message of arbitrary length and pro- duces
Patrick> as output a 128-bit "fingerprint" or "message digest" of the
Patrick> input. It is intended for digital signature applica- tions,
Patrick> where large file must be "compressed" in a secure manner
Patrick> before being encrypted with a private (secret) key under a
Patrick> public-key cryptosystem such as RSA.  "

Patrick> The operative word is "intended".  You can run MD5 on binary
Patrick> files and is not confined to only compressed files.  In fact
Patrick> Solaris has the MD5 finger prints for ALL the files in the
Patrick> system. I am sure not all of them are ".tar, etc"

Debian has something similar, although not all packages support it.
ls /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.md5sums

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A. I did not vote for Emperor Bush.
GPG: 433BA087  9C0F 194F 203A 63F7 B1B8  6E5A 8CA3 27DB 433B A087