[buug] Gentoo, Bluecurve and Linux too!

Jeremy Brand, B.S. jeremy at nirvani.net
Fri Oct 18 13:29:10 PDT 2002

Thus spake Patrick Soltani:

> > What binaries are you talking about?  On linux systems binaries can be
> > re-built with source anyway.  Having a binary-based-packeged
> > system does
> > not prevent you from (re-)compiling whatever you want.
> >
> I work with Solaris, Linux and FreeBSD.  Depending on the platform/OS we
> have to take different routes. Also take into account that home network
> is perhaps less critical compared to production network that 10s of 1000
> folks beat on them every day around the clock, 366 days a year!;-).

I don't think anyone will disagree having source is a bad thing.  The
point of my insertion into this thread is that it is not true that having
a source-only distro is more secure than a binary-distro. I don't see
relevance in all your latest comments on this point.

Also, I don't see how you can assume everyone but yourself is _tinkering_
with only their home network.  Quite insulting.  So, if I understand you
right, nobody but you has to worry about 365/24 availability.  However,
this doesn't have anything to do with the point you are disagreeing with
that a source-based distro is more secure than a binary-based distro.

Like I mentioned before, NOT using a source-based distro like (Gentoo,
Sourcemage, etc) does not keep you from re-compiling anything your have
source code to (even on Solaris!)

You mentioned you also support a Solaris environment.  You can not compare
a source based Solaris distro with a binary based Solaris distro, because
one does not exist.  Again, I don't see the relavancy (to this thread, in
case that is not clear) - as what we were talking about is binary-based
opensource OS distros (freebsd, debian, redhat) and source-based
opensource OS distros (gentoo, sourcemage) and which is more secure based
on whether you are forced to compile everything (source-based) or it is
compiled for you with the option of re-comipiling (binary-based).

PS, many people might appreciate if you put a few newline characters into
your paragraphs. :)

Jeremy