[buug] Gentoo, Bluecurve and Linux too!

Patrick Soltani psoltani at ultradns.com
Fri Oct 18 14:02:18 PDT 2002

Sorry for broken mail client; I don't have a choice.

> Also, I don't see how you can assume everyone but yourself is
> _tinkering_
> with only their home network.  Quite insulting.  So, if I
> understand you
> right, nobody but you has to worry about 365/24 availability.
>  However,
> this doesn't have anything to do with the point you are
> disagreeing with
> that a source-based distro is more secure than a binary-based distro.

I am not sure how you arrived at the conclusion that I am insulting anyone.
I can assure you that is farthest from my mind.
I don't assume I am the only one working 7X24, rather was giving a comparison of the scope
when you do it at home or on a production network.  That's all.

I feel almost sorry for responding to what I thought is a friendly discussion.

> You mentioned you also support a Solaris environment.  You
> can not compare
> a source based Solaris distro with a binary based Solaris
> distro, because
> one does not exist.  Again, I don't see the relavancy (to
> this thread, in
> case that is not clear)

You can get source of the suns' tools thru their developers program.
It is not opensource, you are right, however, that option exists for developers.
The point that I was making.  We use source for installing everywhere irregard of platform/os.

Also SUN has a database of all the files/tools/everything they ship with the systems in a MD5 database.
You can compare your system's MD5 signatures, generated independently, against the published ones.

Regards,
Patrick Soltani.