[buug] Gentoo, Bluecurve and Linux too!

f.johan.beisser jan at caustic.org
Fri Oct 18 18:21:28 PDT 2002

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Rick Moen wrote:

> So I gathered, after making that hasty remark.  I had assumed that it
> was small relative to, say, downloading binary ISOs (since my a-priori
> assumption is that all you pull down is source tarballs as required and
> occasional updates to whatever is like the BSD ports skeleton) -- but I
> infer that for whatever reason it's a bandwidth hog.

actually, i'd say the BSDs ports collection (FreeBSDs specifically) is
good for a few things, but as the dependancies pile up, having binaries to
download makes everything much faster.

my current area of frustration is things like xmms requiring GNOME (not
just GTK) when you compile it from ports. it's almost enough to make me
switch to using linux.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan at caustic.org
    "John Ashcroft is really just the reanimated corpse
         of J. Edgar Hoover." -- Tim Triche