[buug] Gentoo, Bluecurve and Linux too!

Rob Helmer robert at namodn.com
Fri Oct 18 20:24:25 PDT 2002

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 07:55:30PM -0700, f.johan.beisser wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Rob Helmer wrote:
>
> > I've heard this alot, and I don't get it. Where is the line
> > on what's gratuitous?
>
> ok, my own setup for my desktop, normally:
>
> 	     WM: fluxbox
> 	    MP3: xmms
> 	 status: gkrellm
> 	browser: mozilla
>
> but, when i build xmms from /usr/ports, it attempts to build gnome. why?
>
> if i HAVE gnome installed, that would be fine. but i don't, and i don't
> want it installed, but the ports system is assuming i want it, just
> because i typed "make" in /usr/ports/audio/xmms. dumb assumption, but that
> one is made anyway.

I'm guessing by "gnome installed" you mean the whole desktop. It's not
like you have to compile gnome-terminal and the panel and all the
fluff that you probably don't want, it's usually just the core libraries.

> > Just as an aside, you can compile XMMS without GNOME if you want to. I
> > have no idea what features you lose, but it's doable. (
> > http://bsdvault.net/viewtopic.php?topic=270&forum=2 )
>
> it's doable, but it's not simple. the hamhanded result is that you don't
> have gnome, but you do end up with broken ports, due to some of the horrid
> depandancies on the various installs.

Hmm.. I guess it could be made simpler. It's just adding a flag to
"make" IIRC.

To the "broken ports" comment : it really depends on how good of a job
the developer did on making the GNOME dependency removeable without
breaking core features of the app I guess.

> i'm really not talking about the use of static vs dynamic libs. trust me,
> i LOVE dynamic libraries (as long as they don't break, then i hate them
> and get grumpy). this is just about using someone elses idea of what a
> port should be.

Sure, the maintainer has to make a choice on whether it will require gnome-lib
( or whatever ) by default, that's the same choice I would make, since there's
a relatively straightforward way to disallow it.

Thanks,
Rob