[buug] Gentoo, Bluecurve and Linux too!

Rob Helmer robert at namodn.com
Fri Oct 18 20:38:57 PDT 2002

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 07:56:22PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Rob Helmer (robert at namodn.com):
>
> > I've heard this alot, and I don't get it. Where is the line on what's
> > gratuitous?
>
> Right where I want it to be, of course.
>
> I'm sorry; the argument clinic is down the corridor.  This is ironic
> mockery, in here.

No problem. While I have you here, can you point the way to the constructive
conversations?

> [blah, blah, code reuse, blah, modularity, blah, blah, stability, blah.]

I have no idea how this is meant, so I guess I just won't be offended.

Sorry if I came across as preachy; I'm saying it more to the list in general,
not presuming that you don't understand the issues involved, or that you don't
know that XMMS doesn't make a whole lot of use of the gnome libs compared to the
core gnome applications.

I've just heard alot of complaints about dependencies when compiling from
source ( this isn't the first one specifically about the xmms port either ).

I think dependencies on widely-used libraries are almost always a good thing, even
if there are some drawbacks ( like only having 1 or 2 apps actually use the same library ).

I'm curious as to who thinks this is bad and why.

Thanks,
Rob