[buug] Gentoo, Bluecurve and Linux too!

Rob Helmer robert at namodn.com
Fri Oct 18 21:15:59 PDT 2002

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 08:27:35PM -0700, f.johan.beisser wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Rob Helmer wrote:
>
> > Sorry if I came across as preachy; I'm saying it more to the list in
> > general, not presuming that you don't understand the issues involved, or
> > that you don't know that XMMS doesn't make a whole lot of use of the
> > gnome libs compared to the core gnome applications.
>
> i don't think anyone here is talking about xmms' use of the gnome libs -
> if they're present - to bind in to gnome better. that's fine by all
> accounts.

Well, alot of apps take flak for using gnome libraries instead of
writing their own routines directly against GTK, rather than just
integrating with gnome.

> > I've just heard alot of complaints about dependencies when compiling
> > from source ( this isn't the first one specifically about the xmms port
> > either ).
>
> i've never really had a problem compiling xmms from source. i've had
> problems with the FreeBSD port collection's xmms port wanting to
> build/install gnome. a very different situation.
>
> > I'm curious as to who thinks this is bad and why.
>
> i don't think anyone's said it's bad.

Noone here has, it's just a view I've known alot of people to hold.

Offhand, I'm not sure if XMMS using gnome for anything besides a panel
applet, which is pretty gratuitus.

Not the best segue, I apologize for that. Think I've been jumping
to conclusions again..

Thanks,
Rob