[buug] Gentoo, Bluecurve and Linux too!

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Fri Oct 18 22:30:10 PDT 2002

begin  f.johan.beisser  quotation:
> that's a good thing. sadly, i don't use Gentoo, let alone linux.
> technically, i should be able to define WANT_GNOME or USE_GNOME as
> NO in /etc/make.conf and not have it compiled. the problem is that
> the FreeBSD ports have become somewhat chaotic as of late, and don't
> always obey your variables.

	Ah, that's a pity, since the ports did this sort of thing
first.  It's true that the USE variables in Gentoo are as optional as
they are in BSD ports, but the Gentoo packages tend to be more
meticulously maintained (partly because there's no real notion of "we
are the developers of this core code, and all the rest is just
automation of stuff people should compile manually anyway" the way
there is in BSD).

--
A: No.