[buug] desktop deps [Was: Gentoo, Bluecurve and Linux too!]

Ian Zimmerman itz at speakeasy.org
Fri Oct 18 23:26:15 PDT 2002

>> Yeah, I hear you on that.  I despise gratuitous GNOME dependencies,
>> too.

Rob> I've heard this alot, and I don't get it. Where is the line on
Rob> what's gratuitous?

It's late, I'm tired and fed up with the way the planet is going, so
I'll bite.

I am one of these people you hear complaining about this.  The case
that makes me howl is _not_ that I see a cool app utilizing Gnome
functionality and I say "how dare they"?  Rather, I am a happy
longtime user of a gtk program X.  X is really nice but, like every
software project, has a couple of bugs.  I hear an annyoing bug is
fixed in X2.1, just released.  I say "apt-get install X" and bingo!
apt is asking me to download 20M of Gnome libraries - including audio,
panel, CORBA, and what not.  I'll never use any of that
functionality (and I can't afford to have all these libraries loaded,
even once).  That is gratuitous.

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A. I did not vote for Emperor Bush.
GPG: 433BA087  9C0F 194F 203A 63F7 B1B8  6E5A 8CA3 27DB 433B A087