[buug] Convert Linux Gateway to OpenBSD

Ian Zimmerman itz at speakeasy.org
Thu Oct 24 09:27:03 PDT 2002

Charles> OK, my little network is named after the 3 Stooges.  I don't
Charles> have a public domain...if all the PC's were Windows boxes,
Charles> this would be a workgroup.  The gateway machine is Curley,
Charles> the spare machine is Larry, and the WinXP box is Moe.  (I
Charles> have address space available for Shemp and Curley_Joe) ;-)

Careful - underscores are non-standard in domain names, better use a
hyphen.

Charles> Intrusion detection software (really need some input here...)

Charles> No gui needed, don't have the resources.  Curley is a P200 w/
Charles> 64MB ram, 8GB & 5GB HDD.

The intrusion detectors I have experience with (aide and integrit) are
relatively hoggish beasts.  If you think the machine is not good
enough for GUI, I doubt that it will be happy running one of these.

It may be possible (and even advisable, on security grounds) to run
them from another machine over NFS, though.  Never tried that - anyone
else care to comment?

Charles> I see that Midnight Commander is listed as broken in the
Charles> ports/misc tree, I really need a Norton Commander clone.
Charles> Demos Commander is unacceptable, it needs terminal to be
Charles> vct25 or something like that and doesn't work then.  Ytree
Charles> takes forever to calculate the size of files in a big
Charles> directory, and I just don't like it very much.  Any
Charles> suggestions?

Emacs and dired :-)

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A. I did not vote for Emperor Bush.
GPG: 433BA087  9C0F 194F 203A 63F7 B1B8  6E5A 8CA3 27DB 433B A087