[buug] Convert Linux Gateway to OpenBSD

f.johan.beisser jan at caustic.org
Thu Oct 24 16:35:33 PDT 2002

On 24 Oct 2002, Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> I agree with this.  I myself have stopped running snort on my box
> a few days after switching to a DENY firewall policy, when I saw that
> all it could tell me about was a couple of harmless ping requests a
> day (the harmful ones are blocked) and it was in fact the greatest hog
> among the daemons.

depending on how you have snort configured can change what you see. since
most home networks don't have directly exposed IIS/apache/imap/pop
services, it's almost a waste of effort to run it. if you've got a full
scale production network that you WANT to detect attackers traffic on,
it's a good idea to have it running, since it'll record the attack and
allow you to see what, and how, it was done.

> The real stuff is in the kernel log, where the denied packets go.

yes.

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan at caustic.org
	"Champagne for my real friends, real pain for
	  my sham friends." -- Tom Waits