[buug] mozilla

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Tue Oct 29 23:10:09 PST 2002

begin  f.johan.beisser  quotation:
> another gecko based one is "phoenix". kind of a mozilla-lite. i've
> not tried it, as of yet, but i've heard good things so far.

	I'm working on the LNX-BBC mini-distribution of GNU/Linux, and
we include browseX as our lean-and-fast browser.

	I am principally involved as the author of the packaging
system, GAR, which is a way to automate building everything from
source not unlike gentoo's portage or BSD ports.  The problem is that
browseX isn't easy to build, and we have *always* just used officially
blessed release binaries, which are kind of wasteful (they include
statically-linked TCL and Tk among other things).

	One thing I'm looking for is a very lightweight gecko-based
browser with the Javurscript support.  The problem is that of the ones
I can find, skipstone requires an existing mojira install, and galeon
includes a lot of GNOME stuff.

	phoenix looks nice, but the binary release is a 9MB tarball!
Are there any genuinely small and elegant gecko browsers out there?
I'd love to be able to build a reasonably-sized yet functional browser
app from source.

--
A: No.