[buug] DNS on OpenBSD

N. Thomas nthomas at cise.ufl.edu
Thu Oct 31 17:24:56 PST 2002

So I'm shopping around for a DNS solution for our network here: an OpenBSD
firewalling/nat box that feeds some other (mostly Unix) machines.

I looked into it a bit, and whittled it down to these:

    bind4  - comes with OpenBSD

    bind9  - latest version from ISC

    djbdns - I've heard good things about it, and I don't care about the
             licensing (my morals are lax)

Normally I would just use the vendor supplied program, but I was looking
through a DNS book the other day (Langfeldt, Que) and it put the fear of God
into me about using bind4. Bind9 is what the book recommended, and
everywhere I turn I hear about djbdns.

I'm not looking to do anything difficult, just provide name resolution and
possibly some caching.

Would anyone like to share some information on the topic?

thanks,
thomas

--
N. Thomas