[buug] Clusters

Mark Hedges hedges at ucsd.edu
Wed Sep 4 10:19:10 PDT 2002

On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, f.johan.beisser wrote:
> beowulf used to be a pain to set up and design. the advantage, of course,
> is that with a little programming savy, you could have an MPP machine for
> much less than the cost of a Cray.

There's a Debian package called FAI (fully automatic
installation) that the creator wrote primarily to set up a
cluster of beowulf machines.  It should make things easier.

I was wondering myself, do beowulf nodes have to run on
identitcal machines?  Can a beowulf run on disparate units?
Would it just bottleneck processing speed to the slowest CPU?

Does anyone care to explain the difference between parallel
computing and distributed computing?

--mark--