[buug] c++ book recommendation

Jeremy Brand, B.S. jeremy at nirvani.net
Thu Sep 5 14:05:25 PDT 2002

Thus spake Ian Zimmerman:

> itz> Does anyone know of a book that covers the _entire_ C++ standard
> itz> library (STL _and_ strings _and_ utils like auto_ptr) in a
> itz> readable (not necessarily complete) way?
>
> Jeremy> I would have to recommend "The C++ Programming Language" by
> Jeremy> Bjarne Stroustrup.  I don't know anyone that would know more
> Jeremy> about C++ than him ;) I had the 1st edition, and it had lots
> Jeremy> of detail and was very readable (for me).
>
> I had the _second_ edition, and that was out long before the library
> was standardized, so it could not have possibly been covered.

This is why I send the link to the 3rd edition.  :-P

To quote Amazon.com:
"In this brand-new third edition of The C++ Programming Language, author
Bjarne Stroustrup, the creator of C++, presents the full specification for
the C++ language and standard library, a spec that will soon become the
joint ISO/ANSI C++ standard."

:)
Jeremy