[buug] Book suggestion (mildly off-topic)

Brian Sobolak sobolak at myrealbox.com
Thu Sep 5 14:18:45 PDT 2002

hi

While flying yesterday, I read a very neat and
thought-provoking book I thought I'd share with
the group.  "Small Pieces Loosely Joined" goes
beyond looking at internet communications
(he uses web to mean email, IM, usenet, www) to
discuss what the Internet is, what it means to us,
and investigates why we like it so much.

His conclusion-that the Web embraces our
irrationality as humans instead of the enlightened,
rational selves that we often expect-is wonderful.
While getting there, he goes down lots of side tracks
of technology (how much data is on the Internet
backbone at any one second?), philosophy, language,
buying  cars, being a parent, and many others.  Very cool.

You can read some of it online at
http://www.smallpieces.com/.  The chapter "Knowledge"
is particularly good, though unfortunately not
available online.

Anyway, if you're tired of grinding through the latest about the BEEP protocol, Java Beehives in a Nutshell,
or any other technology book, this one is a refreshing
break.

brian

--
Brian Sobolak