[buug] DNS help: tricking my network

Brian Sobolak sobolak at myrealbox.com
Mon Sep 9 16:21:15 PDT 2002

Hi

I've got the DSL working with a static IP.  This IP is
assigned to my Netgear firewall router, with ports
punched open for HTTP, SSH, and DNS.  The ports are
all forwarded to my FreeBSD box.

The problem is that when I try to access URLs that
contain the domain I host I get an error.  The DNS
server answers with the IP address from the public
internet.  When the browser (for example) then tries
to access this IP, the firewall answers.  Since the
firewall is smart (sort of), it never routes the
traffic to the public interface, and it never actually
goes to the webserver.  I just get an error.

This usually isn't a problem - I just use the hostname
or the private IP.  But some new software I installed
uses fully qualified domains (e.g.
www.planetshwoop.com/cgi-bin/foo.cgi instead of
just /cgi-bing/foo.cgi) and it's causing a lot of
frustration.

Can I set up the DNS server on my BSD box so that if
it receives requests for domains that it hosts from
the internal network it will give a different answer
than requests from outside the private network?

brian

--
Brian Sobolak
http://www.planetshwoop.com/