[buug] Learning to cut and paste

Bill Honeycutt wfhoney at pacbell.net
Wed Sep 18 16:14:33 PDT 2002

NOTE: Sorry, I should have proof read this before sending.  What I meant
to say was:

Before the catcalls start, let me say that I know that I shouldn't have
sendmail running...that I should be using one of the many perfectly good
substitutes.

But in truth, I have it running on one machine.  I filter packets so
that only
localhost can connect, all others packets are rejected.  Imagine my
surprise to see the following in my process status output:

ps ax

... stuff deleted...

2896 ?     S  0:00 sendmain: ./g8G7DAJ26233 gateway4.worldnet.att.net:

Yikes!!  All packets from both the localnet and DMZ are disallowed, so
the question becomes, "has someone found an innovative way to use my
sendmail daemon?"

Thanks in advance!

Bill