[buug] User/Group turbulence

Bill Honeycutt wfhoney at pacbell.net
Fri Apr 4 17:16:09 PST 2003

Bob Read wrote:
> Also, Bill, if you're using tar, I think there's a
> command-line flag for choosing to use the tar file's
> user/group info for each file, or the current user's.
> Might be "-v".  Maybe similar flag for gzip/gunzip?
>
> I know the man pages are just seconds away, and I
> could look it up myself, but sh*t, it's Friday, sorry
> dude.
>
> Bob R.

I use:
	tar zxvf <filename>

Maybe someone could explain what happens when the root authority is
used, why it generates the files with the original uid:gid.  Does tar
maintain root privileges while the file is being expanded...or does the
priivilege level change during processing?

May as well learn something here ;-)