[buug] runing X remotely on an XP system

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Fri Dec 12 08:28:28 PST 2003

According to Tony,
> I have a small network at home.  I can connect to my freeBSD system fine through SSH or telnet.  however I cannot run any of my X apps remotely from my XP system.  Is there a way to do this?

we use VNC + putty for windows clients and (linux) X servers

Have also used X server implimentations for windows, both xfree86
and hummingbird, but vnc works best for us:

 - open source

 - tolerant of disconnection/reconnection

 - high performance in the following combos

    vncserver on unix, vncviewer on unix
    vncserver on unix, vncviewer on windows