[buug] Contract work

Bill Honeycutt wfhoney at pacbell.net
Sat Feb 8 02:15:00 PST 2003

Claude Rubinson wrote:

> And I'm also wondering about how much to ask for.  I have no idea what
> the market rate is for database design.  Or should it be based off of
> what I was making while working there?

If that's your basis, then multiply times 1.4 to 1.6 just to take care
of your extra taxes and loss of benifits (self employemnt taxes are a
tremendous hassle).

> Terms of delivery of payment?

If you can swing it, get an agreement to be paid based on milestones.
If it's really a three week job, maybe that means 2 payments based on
deliverables that you turn over to them.

But really, Claude, payment-in-kind might make for a much more
interesting story at the next BUUG meeting :-)