[buug] chmod g-s rxvt

Ian Zimmerman itz at speakeasy.org
Tue Feb 11 14:09:53 PST 2003

Today a daily cron job told me that the sgid flag on the rxvt binary
has been turned off.  rxvt is normally sgid to "utmp" on Debian
systems, because it logs arrivals and departures in /var/run/utmp and
/var/log/wtmp which are owned by that group.  And sure enough, my rxvt
session of last night was not logged (although my xdm login was).

I suspect foul play, but there was also a DSL outage last night which
made me bring down the network interface and then back up, and reboot
(among other things); and the inode change occurred around that time.
So I'm wondering if it's just a bug in the system somewhere.  Anyone
else have this happen to them?

I have checked the binary (all binaries, in fact) and its data hasn't
been changed.

Also, there's no "statoverride" that could have caused this.

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
if (sizeof(signed) > sizeof(unsigned) + 4) { delete this; }