[buug] searching man pages w/i emacs (Oops, clarification)

Jerry Asher jerry-sourceforge at theashergroup.com
Wed Feb 12 18:11:23 PST 2003

> Jerry> I want to search for a switch option, but I can't because the
> Jerry> damned hyphen is bolded.
>
> That sounds really strange.  The face of the character should be
> totally irrelevant for the purpose of searching, and it is for me
> (Debian woody, GNU Emacs 21.3).
>
> Looks like another Red Hat botch.

I just mv'd my .emacs to foo and tried the following:

m-x man bash <CR>

visited the man page for bash and typed:

C-s -c

That search fails, even though the -c option to bash is one of the first
options I see displayed.  Displayed in bold.  But it is not the bolding
that is causing the problem.  I can search for the "c".  But I can't
search for the hyphen.

What the hell character are they displaying and why?!?!

Thanks,

Jerry