[buug] Secure NFS?

Jon McClintock jammer at weak.org
Sat Feb 15 12:17:24 PST 2003

Has anyone been successful at using NFS in a secure way?  NFS seems to
be the best way to export shares to the OS/X computer, but it's
completely lacking in any security mechanisms.

Has anyone tried tunnelling NFS over SSL or SSH? Are there other
mechansims for securing NFS that I'm missing?

Alternatively, does anyone have a spare PCI ethernet card? The problem
is, the server with the files on it is on the public internet, and the
OS/X client is on a NAT network behind the firewall. I've got the server
setup to only allow NFS from the firewall's IP, but since the firewall
also NATs for the (unprotected) wireless network, there's a wee hole in
my security that I'd rather not have.

-Jon