[buug] checking a pid

Ian Zimmerman itz at speakeasy.org
Wed Feb 26 20:55:42 PST 2003

itz> Under Linux, I solved this by stat'ing /proc/<pid>/ .  What is
itz> the BSD way?

jan> ps -axjw | grep foo | awk '{print $3}'

jan> the "j" flag is handy.

Well, I need this in a C program, not as something I type into the
shell.  Setting up that full pipeline wouldn't be completely trivial.

But yes, after firing off my question I thought about just forking
a ps process and checking its exit status.  Fortunately I only need to
do this once; if it was in a loop, this solution wouldn't satisfy.

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
if (sizeof(signed) > sizeof(unsigned) + 4) { delete this; }