[buug] Apache2 Virtual Hosts

Nick Jennings nkj at namodn.com
Fri Feb 28 11:04:41 PST 2003

Hi All, I am wondering if anyone has experience with Apache2, more
specifically name-based virtual hosts? I've done this allot with Apache
1.3 in the past, but thought I'd give Apache2 a try.

It seems they've got lots of the configuration split out into specerate
files, including vhosts/Vhosts.conf to which I've placed the following
lines:

################# Named VirtualHosts
NameVirtualHost *
<VirtualHost _default_:*>
        ServerName <domain>
        DocumentRoot /var/www/<domain>
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost *>
        ServerName nick.<domain>
        DocumentRoot /var/www/nick.<domain>
</VirtualHost>

I've made sure the directories exist, and are readable by the http daemon.
When I go to the URL I get a 403 Forbidden. The only relevant entry in the
error_log:

[Fri Feb 28 10:57:09 2003] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] client denied by server configuration: /var/www/<domain>/

If I disable virtualhosts, I am able to access the files with no issues, so I
am certain it's not a permissions problem.

Any help would be great.

- Nick