[buug] iTunes Music Store: m4p audio files?

Nick Jennings nkj at iaminsane.com
Fri Jun 6 17:49:52 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 05:30:53PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Nick Jennings (nkj at iaminsane.com):
>
> You having a reading-comprehension problem?

 No. Do you?

> All God's chillun got opinions.

Apparently.

> > ?? I don't follow.
>
> On the whole, I can live with that.

I'm glad. Wouldn't want to go giving you a heart attack or anything.

> > I put in an audio CD, and select 'Convert to MP3'. I
> > don't even see any option to convert to AAC encoding.
>
> I'm sorry to hear about _your_ problem.
> http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/04/20030429195456.shtml
>
> Quoting:
>
>    According to Apple: iTunes will only play AAC files that are created by
>    iTunes or downloaded from the Music Store. "Other AAC files that you
>    find on the Internet or elsewhere will not play in iTunes." However,
>    Anecdotal evidence does not support this. Users have reported being able
>    to play AAC files encoded outside of iTunes. [ Tech Note <link> ]
>
>    - AACs you rip from CD yourself (via iTunes) have no restrictions.

I was not stating that it could not be done, as you are now trying to
prove. I was letting you know that iTunes can, and does, convert to mp3.

In a previous message in this thread Rick Moen said:
> User-encoded (as
> opposed to downloaded) iTunes files are basically the same encoding
> but
> treated less stringently and given filename extension .m4a.

I don't know how old that documentation is, but if it is possible to rip
as .m4a files, it's not made easily available (i.e. in a pull-down menu
by default).

- Nick