[buug] Consumer Reports reviews Walmart/Lindows PC

Claude Rubinson cmsclaud at uga.edu
Fri Jun 6 19:40:51 PDT 2003

Received the latest issue of Consumer Reports in the mail today.  It
includes a capsule review of the Walmart/Lindows machine.  Nothing
surprising (they hated it) but thought that it might be of interest
nonetheless.  The relevant section:

"Wal-Mart, the world's largest retailer, now offers a line of 9
desktop computers through walmart.com that are noteworthy on two
counts: They're among the cheapest, with some priced around $200, and
they're the first widely available machines driven by something other
than Windows or Macintosh OS X.
     We weren't impressed.  The computer we tested was OK for Web
browsing, e-mail, and letter writing, but not much more.  And anyone
who equates 'low-priced' with 'basic and easy to use' will be
frustrated.  Instead, we recommend that you spend another $200 or so
for a low-priced Windows computer..."