[buug] LAN naming resolution

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jun 9 01:51:59 PDT 2003

Quoting Erick Smith (desertfox at cableaz.com):

> Ok, thanks for that info.

Yr. welcome.  I hope you won't mind my directing this back to the
mailing list.  You departed into private mail, and I'll assume you
did that accidentally rather than out of any need for privacy.

> I failed to mention that I am on FreeBSD, and Dnsmasq is unfortunately
> not in the ports tree.  I have, however; gotten the source and will be
> checking it out to see if I can install it.

Ah well.  It should be pretty easy to compile and install into
/usr/local.  I've done BIND on FreeBSD, but not any of the alternatives.

> I located most of these other dns servers in the ports tree and have
> installed a couple.  Is there any general DNS info somewhere for
> someone like me who knows next to nothing about it?  Truthfully all
> these programs seem pretty complex.

I do sympathise.  I learned DNS back when the only good information out
there was the O'Reilly "DNS & BIND" book, which of course has nothing
about any other implementation other than BIND.

I think the single best resource on the Net is the DNS Resource
Directory, http://www.dns.net/dnsrd/ , which links to other useful sites
like "Ask Mr. DNS".

rick at linuxmafia.com