[buug] non-RFC1918 addresses

f.johan.beisser jan at caustic.org
Thu Jun 12 12:06:28 PDT 2003

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Brian Sobolak wrote:

> Someone in my company is asking for a "non-RFC1918" address.

>  I read the RFC, and if I understood it correctly, it recommends that
> large companies use private IPs (e.g. 10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x, etc.) for
> their internal networks as a best practice.

it's not so much 'best practice' as much as limiting the need for large
amounts of IP space usage.

> Is a non-RFC1918 address therefore just a publicly available IP, or is
> there something I'm missing?

it's a routed IP. i don't think you're missing anything. what you may want
to know is why they want it, and how they're planning on using it.

	The other day I asked former Yankees pitcher Jim Bouton
        what he thought of our great victory over Iraq, and he
        said, "Mohammed Ali versus Mr. Rogers."
		-- kurt vonnegut, 5.9.03