[buug] non-RFC1918 addresses

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jun 12 16:29:51 PDT 2003

Quoting Brian Sobolak (brian at planetshwoop.com):

> Is a non-RFC1918 address therefore just a publicly available IP, or is
> there something I'm missing?

Your cow-orker is indeed asking for an IP of the sort that could
potentially be publicly routable -- if thus routed.

(At my old firm of a couple of decades back, we used genuine,
ARIN-issued IP addresses for all hosts, long before I connected the
firm to the Internet via filtering router and frame-relay T1.  Thus,
they were _potentially_ routable in the sense of being valid for public
routing, but were not at that time routed.)

--
Cheers,                    I've been suffering death by PowerPoint, recently.
Rick Moen                                                     -- Huw Davies
rick at linuxmafia.com