[buug] Programming for the web in C?

Jerry Asher jerry-sourceforge at theashergroup.com
Fri Mar 7 02:52:52 PST 2003

Skip Evans said:
> Hey all,
>
> A buug thanks to thanks to John for getting the list back up.
>
> Anyone know of a good book on programming for the web in C?
>
> I'm basically thinking of how to write code that can execute
> http type calls and stuff from from C. I would like to be able
> to shoot a call out through web server with a URL constructed
> in C and grab the data that comes back myself.
>
> Any thoughts?

Hi Skip,

My immediate thought is to wonder why you would want to do this in C?

Much of the world's momentum appears to be in the development of executing
http type calls in:

java
c#
perl
tcl (aolserver!)
python
ruby
c++

Why C?

An excellent web dev book is still Philip Greenspun's book, if you can
find it.  It will teach you about web development in tcl and with
aolserver, and a bit about dbms development in oracle as well.  Caveat:
There is almost no market for tcl and aolserver skills.

Jerry