[buug] New FreeBSD user

jason dennis jdennis_2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 18 22:07:54 PST 2003

I'm new to FreeBSD and I think I have screwed myself
already.

I edited the /etc/rc.conf file to turn off IPv6. When
I edited it I left out one of the quotes " and now
when Freebsd gets to the init part of booting it comes
back with unspecified quote error. It lets me continue
to boot, but it want let me run vi or any other text
editing programs or commands to edit the /etc/rc.conf,
I think this has something to do with the way the
/etc/rc file is parsed at bootup, probably because the
rc.conf file is called at the top then it stops and
doesn't load anything else. Can anyone help me.
Thanks,

Newbie