[buug] wireless

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Mar 26 18:23:08 PST 2003

Quoting johnd (john at jjdev.com):

> Anyone  know if
> TrueMobile 1300 Internal MiniPCI Cards
> work under linux?

The key to answering such questions is to find out the _chipset_.  You
didn't post this, presumably because you didn't have the information.
If you have the card in your physical possession, you can find out the
chipset using "cardctl ident".

Short of that, given the make and model, one can sometimes research the
chipset online.  In that department, there's a word you omitted: "Dell".
Suggestion:  Make it easy for other people to help you.  You'll get
much better results.

Anyhow:  I attempted to research the chipset question using the
provided information (what you posted plus the fact that it's a Dell
brand), and came up dry.  You could try asking Dell Computer -- in which
case, prepare yourself to ask _many_ people before finding one who
actually understands your question and is prepared to answer it, and
take care not to mention the term "Linux", or the phone monkey you're
talking to will sigh with relief at your giving him a quick and sleazy
way out, and then happily dispose of your call by saying "we don't
support Linux".

My SWAG (silly wild-assed guess) is that this is probably someone's
(Intersil's?) brand-new chipset, whose actual identity (as opposed to
Dell Marketing "branding") we'll find out about in due course, followed
by the usual development of drivers via reverse-engineering.

If you have ongoing interest in the question, post further (and
preferably less vague) queries to:

Cheers,
Rick Moen                     Emacs is a decent operating system,
rick at linuxmafia.com           but it still lacks a good text editor.