[buug] Goin' International

Bob Read unixjavabob at yahoo.com
Thu May 1 14:54:17 PDT 2003

A not-as-good-as IP/locale caching solution:

If your requirement is lenient (ie some manager sez
"how many of our website users are from switzerland vs
# from france?"), you could do reverse-DNS lookup and
check the top-level domain for "country codes".  Not
efficient, and not a complete solution, but would be
trivial to implement.

Then, use sawmill to make pretty graphs of the logs.

But I must ask...what is the requirement?  What
exactly are you going to do based on the user's
locale?

--- Bill Honeycutt <wfhoney at pacbell.net> wrote:
> Aaron T Porter wrote:
> > On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 02:13:03PM -0700, Bill
> Honeycutt wrote:
> >

> >>Unfortunately, realtime :-/
> >

> > 	A cheap hack would be to check the locale setting
> in
> > HTTP_USER_AGENT if it's set... maybe try getting
> something uesful from
> > HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET as well. Beyond that, you're
> probably going to need to
> > start building a database of non-us IP netblocks.
> You might be able to
> > find starting points at ARIN.net, APNIC.net and
> RIPE.net. There are also
> > some commercial service providers, like
> http://www.maxmind.com/ (just
> > discovered via google).
> >

> Kinda what I thought.  This is enough to run with!
>
> Thanks Aaron and Alyosha!

=====
Bob Read
Exit Code Incorporated