[buug] Goin' International

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Thu May 1 15:20:33 PDT 2003

begin  Aaron T Porter  quotation:
> On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 03:06:16PM -0700, Bob Read wrote:
> >
> > T-shirt I heard about today:
> >
> > "Shut up, or I'll replace you with a 3-line shell
> > script"
>
> 	Close:
> 	http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/frustrations/374d/

	That's actually got a very long story behind it.

Short version:

	For a long time the san francisco linux CABAL, focused around
the now-defunct CoffeeNet, used to joke that there's no POSSIBLE way
that someone like Rick Moen could exist.  I mean, he goes to ALL THE
LUG MEETINGS and posts on ALL THESE LISTS and it's just GOT to be
automated.

	So we trolled a bunch of mailing list archives with stories of
how we were still debugging Rick Moen, telling bogus histories (like
how he was originally written in PostScript, because the office we
were in had a 68000 chip in the printer, but 8088s in all the desktop
boxes).  Ultimately, Rick started fighting back by saying stuff like
"oh be quiet, or I'll replace you with a very small Perl script".

	The game of linux cabal connections spreads, and ultimately
you get the thinkgeek folks hanging out with Rick in a professional
context.  Thus the t-shirt was more or less inevitable.

	I'm sure someone will rise up now to quibble with me on the
petty details.

--

end